Advertisement

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

The Leather Jacket and the Grapes

Dear insansapinas,
photocredit:creative ads
(From my other blog, habang hinahasa ko pa ang aking utak. Haba ng long weekend. Kaya nga long weekend eh: *heh*).


Experience has taught me that the crisis model of young people is one which is a maze of anxiety, riotous swings of moods and rebelliousness. They also hold to inflexibly high ideals.
My brother once saved a portion of his allowance for a leather jacket. He got to have one just like my older brother, you know the older-brother-hero-worship-kind of-thing stage. After a few months, he found that his savings were not enough even for one sleeve of the jacket. . He asked my mom to give him money so he can buy his dream jacket. My mom thought that it was foolish to buy a leather jacket that he would outgrow in a few months. (Not unless bumili siya ng plus plus size to provide for growth. Parang yong pagbili ko ng sapatos na mas malaki ng isang inch para paglaki ng aking paa pwede pa. Kesehoda kong kahit nilagyan ko ng papel ay kalap, kalap, kalap pa siya paglakad ko at naiiwan pagtakbo ko).


My mother  said no. My father said tssk tssk tssk as he left my mom as the juror, the judge and the executioner.My brother rebelled. The cause was a leather jacket which could not be used often because of the hot weather in the PHL.  It was normal for a child undergoing a turbulent passage from one stage to another so a psychiatrist/psychologist would say. He used all his money to buy grapes. My mom suspected that it was a deliberate reaction to spite her.Like Judge Judy, she handed the verdict. He was to be grounded for a week and he should eat all the grapes.(Methinks that I was doing him a favor when I offered to share his punishment by eating half). I considered the first punishment was over as in uber. The second was not a punishment until I saw my brother becoming tipsy as he finished the last few pieces.



Lessons learned by my brother: Eating grapes is intoxicating. He did not need to be forcibly grounded, He stayed in bed because of hangover. Next time he rebelled, he should buy a different kind of fruit. Atis kaya o durian? 


Lesson learned by mom: Deny your son something that he wanted would make him buy fruits. Next time he rebelled,  she prayed he would buy vegetables so she can make him eat some. She wished. 


Lesson learned by me. If ever I were  to be in the shoes of my brother, I would buy variety of food stuffs  so that when my mom punishes me to eat them all, I have a complete meal. May kasama pa dapat root beer. 
Pinaysaamerika

No comments: