Advertisement

Friday, April 16, 2010

Multitasking is impossible

Dear insansapinas,

I have watched several episodes of Law and Order but except for one or two, I never came to know who the killer is or how the case ended. It is because I am multitasking--watching TV, writing the book  and doing things that are in my to-do list. Frankly, the reason why I am in front of the TV is because I do not want to work in my desk which is in my bedroom. The bed beckons me to take a shut eye every now and then.

Now I found out that it is not my fault if I write, watch TV and burn the sinigang na baboy because I forgot all about it as I tried to check if the exercises I prepared at the end of the chapter of the book I am writing is difficult enough to make the students think. That's how many tasks? three. Include my bird-watching-shooing-activity and that makes it four.

I know I am the talk of the bird community in our place--the mean woman who checks the birds that come to roost at the beam of our balcony.  

I did not beat the deadline. I am late by 15 days. My friend asked me if it will be accepted. Oh I don't care if  they won't. Nobody was able to prepare one. I enjoyed writing it because it gives me a sense of accomplishment instead of merely reading and blogging--activities which for others is just a wish because they have their family to attend to or to report to their 9-5 corporate "slavery" .Anyway, I still have a few learning objectives to write before every chapter and there is the conversion of word to pdf. Arghhh.

Why am writing this?

A study conducted that the brain can only do two tasks at the same time. Aleluyah. So that means, I am normal. No psychiatric evaluation needed. theehehehe 

For those who find it tough to juggle more than a couple things at once, don't despair. The brain is set up to manage two tasks, but not more, a new study suggests.
That's because, when faced with two tasks, a part of the brain known as the medial prefrontal cortex divides so that half of the region focuses on one task and the other half on the other task. This division of labor allows a person to keep track of two tasks pretty readily, but if you throw in a third, things get a bit muddled.
 Oh excuse me while I get the broom to drive away the three pigeons that perched in my patio. It's been days that I have not taken my cough medicines for my allergy. So I am thinking that I am also allergic to these fine-feathered enemies of mine.


Pinaysaamerika

No comments: