Advertisement

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mons Romulo-Tantoco's Storms in Life

Dear insansapinas,






Mons Romulo -Tantoco wrote: 


We all have experienced low moments in our lives. Feeling helpless, not knowing what tomorrow would be. But we all know that after every storm the sun definitely always shines. My celebration of Easter today is much more meaningful. I have survived the most challenging storms in my life. I have accepted and now know why things happened the way they did. I am in a much happier place in my life, so grateful of where I am today. Like the fresh hope that Easter brings, I am inspired and looking forward to what tomorrow will bring.

Read the whole article here for the stories of people from different sectors of society about the storms in their lives and how they survived.


Storms, Tornados and Earthquake

I got a friend who survived storm after storm in her life.  It seemed seasons of typhoon, tornados and earthquake did not leave her since she was starting to understand    what life really is.


Her mother was the one putting food on their table as her father was wasting his life in bottles day-after-day. She helped her sold vegetables and fruits in one of the public markets in Quezon City.
After high school, she worked as "katulong" in Manila. 


Her income was not enough to augment the family's to support her other three siblings. Her older sister was enrolled by her mother in a university hoping that she would be able to get a decent job when she finished a business degree But she didn't. She met a man several older than she  was and lived in with him when she became pregnant.


My friend, losing hope that she could attain her ambition of finishing college herself decided to go to the Middle East. The relentless prodding of her mother for her to become an OFWmade her ignore the sad stories of the domestic helpers who worked in the Arab countries.


In her short stay in that country, she never got a cent of her salary. She had to sleep with a steak knife under her pillow --that was when she had time to sleep. She worked from dawn to midnight When she sensed that her employer was  attempting to sexually assault her, she escaped and with the help of another Filipino, she was able to go home  to the Philippines without passport and money to pay their debts.


Her mother who was really keen on making her go abroad, married her off to a US veteran who was almost her grandfather.  The marriage did not last long although the man was kind enough to help her family financially even after they separated.
I met her after her divorce. She felt so alone without someone to assist her in her documents to get her papers. They divorced before the required three-year living together was over.  In the PHL , I would not have met her. We lived in  different worlds but in the US we became best friends.


She fell in love with wrong men. She was looking for love in  wrong places -until she married her childhood on- and- off boyfriend  who wanted to come to the US. A few months after his arrival, he was already planning to leave her for another woman. It was shocking. It was more like a 9.0 magnitude earthquake. I could credit my friend for her tenacity. Despite my advice to let him go, she fought for her family. They had already a baby boy by that time. He was born while she  petitioned him as fiance.


It was not the end of the sstorms. Two tornados devastated her. Twice, the house that they bought were foreclosed. Their partners did not disclose to them the fine print in the mortgage. My advice was too late. 


She is still soaked in storm these days. Her husband had been out of job for more than three years. I never heard her complain.


You see we have an agreement. She should not cry to me about the husband because I was against their marriage even I helped them in their wedding.


One thing I like in her--she  is still a friend, come storm, tornado and earthquake.We both left San Fran at the same year to live in another states. It was not an agreement. It was destiny. 


Pinaysaamerika




No comments: